I never showed off my t-shirt quilt when I finished it! I was in a bit of a hurry at the end because Dash's sister and brother-in-law were going to be traveling near us and I wanted to be able to give it to them in person. I guess in all the rush and excitement I forgot about posting!
Chris, my sister-in-law, requested this quilt for her husband, Tommy. I'd never made a t-shirt quilt but was willing to give it a try. Chris gathered up a whole bunch of Tommy's old lineman shirts and I got busy.
Each shirt's design got measured to find the largest design and I used that one for the size of my squares, 16.5 inches. I put iron-on interfacing on the back of each design and used a 16.5 inch square ruler to cut. A couple of the shirts were a little small or off-centered enough to need a little fudging...one of the pink shirts has a bit of the sleeve seam left in and the yellow shirt needed a strip sewn to one side to make it wide enough...but you cannot see these fixes on the finished quilt.
I bordered each shirt block with 2.5 inch strips of black and added blaze orange cornerstones, OG&E's trademark colors.
There wasn't enough of the camo fabric I wanted to use on the back so I just added black along both sides.
Tommy and Chris came to the city for the Lineman's Rodeo and we brought them the quilt. The hotel had this very convenient brick planter for the guys to stand on so I could get photos of the entire quilt.
It was so big (king size) and so heavy, I had it long arm quilted at a nearby quilt shop. You can't really see in the photos but the thread is blaze orange.
You can see the large stipple design better on the black. I did the binding myself, since that's my favorite part. I love binding!
This was a really fun quilt to sew. Chris and Tommy were thrilled and I had a "Summer Project" to keep me busy creating.
Thank you for visiting my blog today!